Silence as a tool
Use silence to help ensure everyone gets a chance to contributes.
When you are running workshops or working in groups don’t underestimate the power of silence. Valuable contributions may come from introverts who need a bit of time to collect their thoughts.
- How to use silence effectively
- When you are doing an exercise that requires people to contribute their ideas or thoughts, design in periods of quiet working or reflection, before people speak to the group.
- Encourage people to work in smaller groups before whole group discussions.
- Allow time for regular breaks.
- If you are facilitating, make sure you hear from everyone by inviting people to speak.